Alec Baldwin, ‘Rest’ Producers Reach Settlement With Murdered Cameraman’s Estate – National

Alec Baldwin and producers for the western movie Rust have reached a settlement with the estate of film director Halyna Hutchins, who was shot dead while filming on set last year, Deadline reported Wednesday, citing a statement from Hutchins’ husband.

“We have reached a settlement, subject to court approval, for our wrongful death case against the producers of… Rust, including Alec Baldwin and Rust Movie Productions, LLC. As part of that settlement, our case will be dropped,” Matthew Hutchins said.

Read more:

Alec Baldwin sued for $25 million by family of fallen Marine in defamation lawsuit

As part of the deal, Hutchins said he will executive produce the film and resume shooting in January. Shooting took place in Santa Fe, New Mexico.

Story continues under ad

Baldwin, 64, and others face criminal charges for Hutchins’ death, a New Mexico prosecutor said in September. Investigators have focused on determining who wielded the gun Baldwin fired during a rehearsal, killing Hutchins and injuring director Joel Souza.

Baldwin has denied responsibility for Hutchins’ death, saying live rounds should never have come on set.

Baldwin’s attorney Luke Nikas told Variety: “We are grateful to everyone who contributed to the resolution of this tragic and painful situation.”

In August, Hutchins’ death was determined to be an accident by the New Mexico Medical Bureau following the completion of an autopsy and review of law enforcement reports.

Earlier in April, images of Alec Baldwin were released by police just minutes after the deadly shooting.

Story continues under ad

Silent rehearsal footage shows Baldwin quickly pulling and aiming a F.lli Pietta 45 Long Colt Revolver, the same pistol that was later misfired.

Read more:

Alec Baldwin film set shooting considered an accident by medical examiner

Further bodycam footage shows paramedics rushing to treat Hutchins and Souza on the film set before being transferred to ambulances.

A video has also been released of a visibly troubled Baldwin speaking to an officer in his cowboy costume. In the recording just minutes after the shooting, the officer asks if Baldwin is okay, to which he replies, “No, I’m actually not.”

Baldwin confirms to officers in the video, “I was the one holding the gun, yes.” He continues to cooperate with the police despite his confused state, saying, “My hands are shaking.”

The shooting took place while Baldwin was rehearsing with what he believed to be a safe weapon.

— With files from Sarah Do Couto of Global News

Leave a Comment