Eric Holder Attacked In LA County Jail Amid Nipsey Hussle Murder Trial

The man on trial for murdering rapper Nipsey Hussle was assaulted early Tuesday morning in a Los Angeles County jail, officials confirmed.

Multiple people assaulted 32-year-old Eric Holder while he was in a jail cell waiting to be brought to trial, his public defender, Aaron Jansen, told KTLA.

“The attack involved a razor and the back of his head was cut,” Jansen said. Holder was taken to a hospital, had an MRI and was eventually given staples in the back of his head, Jansen said. The attorney told Rolling Stone magazine that Holder also had a swollen face and eye.

The case was set to resume on Wednesday with witness statements.

“We discussed specific steps with Judge Jacke who assured us of Mr. Holder Jr.’s safety going forward,” Jansen said.

Hussle, whose real name was Ermias Asghedom, was shot and killed outside his business, the Marathon Clothing store, in the Hyde Park neighborhood of South Los Angeles in March 2019. The Grammy-winning artist was 33 at the time.

The murder sparked a 48-hour manhunt that culminated in Holder’s arrest in Bellflower. He was charged with one count of murder, two counts of attempted murder and one count of possession of a firearm by a felon.

Holder pleaded not guilty and faces life imprisonment if convicted as charged.

During opening statements earlier this month, District Attorney John McKinney told jurors that Holder was caught on surveillance footage standing in the parking lot opening fire on Hussle, and that the rapper had sustained 10 gunshot wounds.

Hussle had also made a name for himself as a community activist and entrepreneur in South LA. He offered jobs to struggling residents and worked on economic development in the streets around Slauson and Crenshaw Boulevard.

Leave a Comment