Hinckley apologizes for shooting Reagan

The man who wounded US President Ronald Reagan in 1981 has apologized for his actions and says he does not remember what he felt when he fired the shots that also injured three others.

John Hinckley Jr told CBS Mornings in his first televised interview since he was released from all oversight by the court this month that he feels sorry for all the lives his actions affected.

“I feel sorry for them all. I sincerely regret what I’ve done,” Hinckley said.

“I know they probably can’t forgive me now, but I just want them to know I’m sorry for what I did.”

Asked what feelings led him to commit the act, Hinckley said he can’t remember those emotions and doesn’t want to.

“It’s been such a different lifetime. I can’t tell you now the emotion I had when (Reagan) came out. I can’t tell you that,” he said, later adding, “It’s something I’m not want to remember.”

Hinckley, 25, was suffering from acute psychosis when his gunshots wounded Reagan and three others outside a Washington DC hotel.

The assassination attempt paralyzed Reagan press secretary James Brady, who died in 2014.

A police officer and a secret service agent were also injured.

Jurors found Hinckley not guilty of insanity and he spent decades in a psychiatric hospital in Washington DC.

In the early 2000s, he began visiting his parents’ home in Williamsburg, Virginia.

A 2016 court order gave him permission to live with his mother full-time, albeit under varying restrictions, after experts said his mental illness had been in remission for decades.

He signed a lease last year for a one-bedroom apartment in the area and lives there alone with his cat, according to court documents.

His mother died in July.

He has also released songs and is looking for a venue that will allow him to sing and play guitar in front of a live audience.

He has posted videos of himself singing and playing guitar on YouTube.

Hinckley was previously subject to restrictions that prevented him from possessing a weapon, using drugs or alcohol, or contacting relatives of the victims.

But a federal judge in Washington DC had said months ago that if he remained mentally stable, he would release Hinckley from those restrictions.

Those restrictions were lifted on June 15.

Leave a Comment