Man and woman arrested after NSW teen disappeared nearly 20 years ago

A man and woman have been arrested over the suspicious disappearance of Amber Haigh, a NSW teenager who went missing almost 20 years ago.

The pair, both 61 years old, were arrested around 7:30 a.m. today at a building in Harden, in the southwestern part of the state.

The arrests come just over a week after the reward for information in Ms Haigh’s case was increased to $1 million.

Amber Haigh was described as a 'warm and loving soul'.
Amber Haigh, a mother of a six-month-old son, was described as a ‘warm and loving soul’. (delivered)

The man and woman were taken to Young Police Station.

Police said they are expected to be charged with murder.

“We will allege that the man and woman, both 61, lived in a property in Kingsvale at the time and the police will allege that they were responsible for Amber’s murder,” Chief Inspector Danny Doherty said.

Prior to the arrests, a white Suzuki Sierra was seized for forensic examination in Thurgoona on April 28.

“We are going to argue that the car seized in Thurgoona originally belonged to the man and woman charged today with the murder,” Chief Inspector Doherty said.

The man and woman, both 61 years old, were arrested this morning for the suspicious disappearance of Amber Haigh in 2002.
The man and woman, both 61 years old, were arrested this morning for the suspicious disappearance of Amber Haigh in 2002. (NSW Police)

Ms Haigh, a mother of a six-month-old son, disappeared on June 5, 2002, after making plans to visit her ailing father at Mt Druitt Hospital in Sydney.

Police were told that a couple living with Ms Haigh had dropped off the teen at Campbelltown train station.

That evening, money was withdrawn from Mrs. Haigh’s bank account at an ATM in Campbelltown.

Chief Inspector Danny Doherty talks about the arrests following the alleged murder of Amber Haigh.
Chief Inspector Danny Doherty talks about the arrests following the alleged murder of Amber Haigh. (9News)

Chief Inspector Doherty said police will allege that Ms Haigh was murdered in the Harden-Young area.

“Police will later claim in fact that they never reached Sydney,” Chief Inspector Doherty said.

“We will argue that Amber met her passing in the Harden-Young area and never made it to Sydney and as I have said before it was a terribly tragic event where a six month old baby was left behind and never allowed to grow up. and know his mother.”

Amber Haigh, mother of a six-month-old son, disappeared from NSW nearly 20 years ago.
Amber disappeared from NSW nearly 20 years ago while traveling to visit her ailing father. (delivered)

She was reported missing on June 19, when she did not return to Kingsvale.

Chief Inspector Doherty said Ms Haigh’s family is “ecstatic, elated and clearly very emotional” about the arrests.

“They were both delighted and cried on the phone at the same time,” he said.

The $1 million reward remains for information on the location of Ms Haigh’s remains.

“The family is very eager to find Amber’s remains and put her to rest,” Chief Inspector Doherty said.

Ms Haigh’s family has long believed that she has been a victim of foul play.

In a request for information last week, Rosalind Wright, Ms Haigh’s mother, said she “knows in her heart that she (Amber) would never have left her son”.

Rosalind Wright (right) and Melissa Millar-Hodder, Amber Haigh's mother and sister, urged anyone with information to come forward.
Rosalind Wright (right) and Melissa Millar-Hodder, Amber Haigh’s mother and sister, urged anyone with information to come forward. (delivered)

Her sister Melissa Millar-Hodder described Ms Haigh as a “kind, loving soul”.

“She would help anyone no matter what if she needed help,” she said.

“Her son never got to know or grow up with his caring, loving mother.

“The impact this has had is that you feel incomplete, you feel lost.

“Not knowing where she is and what happened to Amber, not even to let her rest, or answer the phone or hug her one last time; that’s taken from us.”

In 2011, an inquest found that Ms Haigh had died, having died in early June 2002 as a result of murder or other accident.

In 2020, a formal review of the case was conducted under the Homicide Squad’s Unsolved Homicide Framework and a new investigation was launched by detectives associated with Strike Force Villamar II.

Leave a Comment