Mike Pence tells Republicans to stop attacking FBI after search for Mar-a-Lago

Former Vice President Mike Pence on Wednesday denounced Republicans attacking the FBI after the agency searched Donald Trump’s Florida home.

The Aug. 8 search of Mar-a-Lago, which sources told ABC News is linked to the former president’s alleged mishandling of classified documents and other White House data, has led Republicans to oppose federal law enforcement. law enforcement agency and the Department of Justice.

Rep. House Republican No. 3 Elise Stefanik said the search was “a complete abuse and violation of his authority”. Representative Marjorie Taylor Greene, R-Ga., calls for the FBI to be relieved. Trump himself has consistently attacked the FBI and the Department of Justice, calling the raid “an attack on a political opponent on a level never seen before in our country. Third World!”

The FBI has been warning about increasing threats against law enforcement since the search. A joint intelligence bulletin, obtained by ABC News, said there has been an “increase in threats and acts of violence” against law enforcement and government personnel in response to what happened in Mar-a-Lago.

Last week, a man armed with an AR-15 style rifle was alleged to have attempted to break into an FBI field office in Cincinnati and was later shot and killed by police. Law enforcement officers said they were investigating the suspect’s social media posts, including calls for violence in the days following the raid.

Pence said at a political event in Manchester, New Hampshire on Wednesday, that criticism from members of his own party must stop.

“The Republican Party is the party of law and order,” Pence said. “And these attacks on the FBI must stop; calls to relieve the FBI are just as wrong as calls to relieve the police.”

PHOTO: Former Vice President Mike Pence speaks at the Advancing Freedom Lecture Series at Stanford University, Feb. 17, 2022, in Stanford, California.

Former Vice President Mike Pence speaks at the Advancing Freedom Lecture Series at Stanford University, Feb. 17, 2022, in Stanford, California.

Justin Sullivan/Getty Images, FILE

Pence said he was “deeply troubled” to learn that a search warrant had been issued on Trump’s estate, but said the party can still hold Attorney General Merrick Garland accountable “without attacking ordinary law enforcement officers at the FBI.” “.

“The truth is we need to get to the bottom of what happened,” Pence continued. “We need to let the facts come out, but most of all, the American people need to be reassured about the integrity of our justice system and the appearance of a repeat of the politics involved in decisions that the Department of Justice demands transparency like never before.”

The vice president said he will continue to urge Attorney General Merrick Garland to make such information public.

Trump and his allies want the search warrant affidavit released, but the Justice Department said it would jeopardize the integrity of the ongoing investigation.

A supporter of former President Donald Trump drives past his Mar-a-Lago estate, Aug. 8, 2022, in Palm Beach, Florida.

Wilfred Lee/AP

A hearing is scheduled for Thursday at the request of multiple media outlets, including ABC News, to unseal the affidavit.

Pence also commented on the Jan. 6 commission’s work on the “Politics” & Eggs’ breakfast at St. Anselm College. The former vice president said he would consider testifying if asked. Sources have told ABC News that commission investigators have been in private talks with Pence’s attorney for months about securing his possible testimony.

“Any formal invitation made to us, we would give it due consideration. But my first obligation is to continue to fulfill my oath, to continue to uphold this governmental framework enshrined in the Constitution, this has the greatest nation in the history of the world,” he said.

Leave a Comment