Moriah Wilson came from a family of athletes. The 25-year-old elite cyclist was preparing for another race before she was killed

Wilson’s family mourns the loss of their “beautiful daughter and sister,” who excelled as a biker and skier. “Moriah was a talented, kind and caring young woman. Her life was taken from her before she had the chance to achieve everything she dreamed of,” the family said.

Here’s what we know so far about Wilson, why police believe she’s been targeted, and her short-lived success in the burgeoning sport of gravel racing.

Wilson was a star skier in her early years, but recently became a high-level cyclist. She especially excelled at “gravel racing,” a relatively new category of bicycles that is in a hybrid middle ground between road racing and mountain biking.

A profile in VeloNews, published the day she died, called her “the winningest woman in the American off-road scene.” According to the article, Wilson had won nearly 10 races this year, including the Shasta Gravel Hugger and Rock Cobbler in California. Last month, she won the 137-mile Belgian Waffle Ride with a 25-minute lead over second.
Wilson wrote about her racing experiences on her Instagram and in a Substack newsletter. In March, she looked back on second place at the Mid South race and briefly on her rise to the top of the field.

“This race was the first time in my career (I can call it a career right now) that I really felt like I had a target on my back,” she wrote. “Was I nervous? Heck yeah! But mostly I was excited.”

At the time of her death, Wilson was just days away from competing in the Gravel Locos bicycle race. The day after the race, an event organizer recalled her on Facebook as a “role model, a shy compassionate person, a feisty tactical racer and a competitor who genuinely cared about those who compete against you.”

Mo Wilson spent her childhood in Vermont skiing in the winter and biking in the summer.

Wilson had recently returned to her home state of Vermont. Growing up, she was an accomplished athlete, skiing in the winter and mountain biking in the summer. Her father Eric Wilson skied for the US national ski team, and her aunt Laura was a Nordic skier and competed in the Olympics, she told VeloNews.

She also took up the sport competitively. “In downhill skiing, Moriah rose to the level of a nationally ranked junior skier and finished 3rd in the 2013 US Junior National Championship Downhill event,” her obituary reads. While studying at Dartmouth University, she was a member of the Alpine Ski Team, “fulfilling a childhood dream,” the obituary says.
Wilson was also the captain of her high school soccer team, according to her athletic profile at Dartmouth.

After her studies, she switched from skiing to competitive cycling.

“She grew up in the northeastern part of the Kingdom of Vermont and spent many hours on the Kingdom Trails developing her motorcycling skills and strength,” the obituary reads. “After graduating from Dartmouth, Moriah shifted gears and continued to pursue her athletic dreams as an elite cyclist.”

Outside of sports, she loved “cooking, writing and traveling,” it says, “especially Italy, Taco Tuesdays, maple creemees and playing Catan with her friends.”

How the shooting went

On May 11, Wilson was shot multiple times while staying at a friend’s house in Austin prior to the Gravel Locos race in Hico, according to an affidavit filed with the Travis County District Court.

Kaitlin Marie Armstrong, a 34-year-old Austin resident, is wanted for manslaughter in the murder and is now on the run, US Marshals said.
A Texas woman is wanted for the murder of an elite cyclist who had a relationship with her boyfriend, authorities say

Both women had recently been romantically involved with the same man — pro cyclist Colin Strickland — and reports and interviews with tipsters suggest jealousy could be a possible motive, the affidavit said.

On the day of the murder, Wilson told her boyfriend she was going for an afternoon swim with Strickland, the affidavit says — a detail Strickland confirmed in an interview with police. They had dinner together afterward, and he then dropped her off at her boyfriend’s house, Strickland said. He didn’t go in.

Austin Police Department responded later in the evening, shortly before 10:00 p.m. CT, and found Wilson with multiple gunshot wounds. She was pronounced dead on the spot.

The shooting did not appear to be an “random act,” police said in a May 14 press release.

Police issued a manslaughter warrant against Armstrong on May 17. The affidavit for her arrest refers in part to video surveillance obtained by investigators showing a vehicle similar to hers near the home shortly before Wilson’s body was found.

In addition, researchers compared ballistics from the scene to that of bullets fired from a firearm Strickland had recently purchased for Armstrong, and the “potential that the same firearm was involved is significant,” the document said.

According to the affidavit, Strickland told police he has had no contact with Armstrong since May 13.

Within 24 hours of Wilson’s death, officers from the Lone Star Fugitive Task Force arrested Armstrong in connection with an unrelated arrest warrant and spoke to her. However, Austin police then said Armstrong’s arrest warrant was not valid and told her she was free to leave.

Armstrong requested that the interview be ended and left after detectives began to confront her with video from the security camera placing her car near the crime scene, the affidavit said.

Wilson had a previous relationship with the suspect’s boyfriend

In a statement to the Austin American-Statesman, Strickland said he had a “brief romantic relationship” with Wilson from late October to early November 2021, while he was separated from Armstrong.
Strickland and Armstrong reconciled and resumed their relationship about a month later, he told the newspaper† His relationship with Wilson then became “platonic and professional,” and he considered her a “close friend,” he said.

“There is no way to adequately express the regret and torture I feel for my proximity to this horrific crime,” Strickland said in the paper. “I’m sorry, and I just can’t understand this unfathomable situation.”

The affidavit cites a tipster who claimed Armstrong had come to believe the romantic relationship between Strickland and Wilson was underway in January 2022. Strickland admitted to hiding his communications with Wilson from Armstrong by changing Wilson’s name on his phone and deleting texts, the affidavit said.

Armstrong had contacted Wilson several times, and in one instance told her to “stay away” from Strickland, one of Wilson’s friends told investigators, according to the affidavit.

Wilson was not in a romantic relationship at the time of her death, her family said in a statement.

“While we won’t dwell on the ongoing investigation, we feel it is important to clarify that at the time of her death, those closest to her clearly understood, directly from Moriah, that she was not in a romantic relationship with anyone,” he said. the spokesman. said family.

Melissa Alonso, Caroll Alvarado and Jennifer Henderson of CNN contributed to this report.

Leave a Comment