Palestinian militant dies of injuries days after clashes with Israeli forces

A Palestinian gunman, brother of a prominent militant in the occupied West Bank, died in an Israeli hospital on Sunday, two days after being wounded in clashes with Israeli forces.

The Palestinian Health Ministry announced the death of Daoud Zubeidi, citing information from Israeli authorities, and armed groups vowed revenge.

He was the brother of Zakaria Zubeidi, a former commander of the Fatah Party’s Al Aqsa Martyrs Brigades in the West Bank city of Jenin, who escaped from an Israeli maximum-security prison in September with five other militants. All were caught.

Daoud Zubeidi, 43, was gunned down Friday in Jenin in gun battle with Israeli troops and taken to hospital in the northern Israeli city of Haifa. An Israeli officer was also killed in fighting in Jenin that day.

“We swear to God, the response to leader’s martyrdom … Zubaidi will be painful, strong and unprecedented,” the Jenin Brigade, a group within the armed wing of the Palestinian Islamic Jihad militant group, said in a statement.

READ | Palestinians welcome foreign support for reporter’s death investigation

Jenin has been a frequent target of intensified Israeli arrest raids following the murder, since March, of 18 people, including three police officers and a security guard, in Arab attacks in Israel and the West Bank.

Israeli operations have often led to clashes, bringing the number of Palestinians killed by Israeli troops or armed civilians since the beginning of the year to at least 43. The victims include armed members of militant groups, lone attackers and bystanders.

On Wednesday, Shireen Abu Akleh, a Palestinian-American and a veteran reporter for the Qatar-based TV network Al Jazeera, was shot dead in Jenin during an Israeli raid, in an incident that raised international concern.

Palestinian authorities have described her death as murder by Israeli troops, a claim Israel denies.

READ | Israel police investigate actions at journalist’s funeral after protest

Israel initially suggested that Palestinian fire could be to blame, but officials have since said they could not rule out the possibility that Israeli gunfire killed her.

Israel has launched an investigation into Abu Akleh’s death. Palestinians have called for an international investigation.

On Friday, Israeli police attacked a crowd of Palestinian mourners at her funeral in Jerusalem, sparking an international outcry.

Leave a Comment