Queen Elizabeth withdraws from second anniversary event after ‘discomfort’

The 96-year-old monarch has withdrawn from another appearance after suffering “discomfort” during her platinum anniversary celebrations.

The Queen will no longer be attending the Epsom Derby on Saturday, Buckingham Palace has announced.

She will instead watch the horse racing showpiece – which is part of its platinum anniversary celebrations – on TV at Windsor Castle, the palace said in a statement.

It is the second time in two days that she has been forced to withdraw from Jubilee events due to persistent mobility issues.

Until the pandemic, the Queen had only missed Derby Day twice during her reign. The Princess Royal is expected to officially represent her sister, the Queen, whose unprecedented 70 years on the throne will be celebrated by 40 jockeys who have ridden for the monarch before forming a guard of honor at Saturday’s Derby.

The 96-year-old monarch previously withdrew from Friday’s anniversary service after experiencing “inconvenience” at Thursday’s event, where she appeared on the palace balcony with members of the royal family to greet well-wishers.

The Queen has previously spoken about mobility issues and the palace confirmed ahead of the anniversary that the monarch would consider the events she could attend during the four-day celebration.

Stream the Queen’s Platinum Jubilee celebration live on Flash. 25+ news channels in 1 place. New to Flash? Try one month for free. Offer ends October 31, 2022

At a reception in London’s Guildhall on Friday, Kate Middleton, the Duchess of Cambridge, is said to have told a participant that the Queen is “fine”, but found the day “very exhausting”, The Sun reports.

Gill Smallwood from Bolton spoke to Kate and asked how the Queen was doing.

Mrs. Smallwood said: “She (Kate) said ‘yes, she was fine, it was just very tiring yesterday, and she (the Queen) had a lovely, lovely time’.”

On Friday, the Queen was set to participate in the National Service of Thanksgiving at St Paul’s Cathedral in central London. She is said to have been part of a large contingent including Prince Harry and Meghan Markle who entered from the US.

The Queen’s love of horse racing was mentioned during the packed thanksgiving service at St Paul’s Cathedral.

Archbishop of York Stephen Cottrell praised her for “staying on track” and saying she was “still in the saddle” even though she couldn’t attend.

The Queen has deep faith and missing the church service would not have been an easy decision.

Nevertheless, Buckingham Palace said she would not be attending St Paul’s.

“The Queen thoroughly enjoyed today’s birthday parade and fly-pas, but did experience some discomfort,” a statement released Thursday said.

“Considering the travel and activities required to participate in tomorrow’s National Thanksgiving, Her Majesty has reluctantly concluded that she will not be attending.

“The Queen is looking forward to taking part in the beacon lighting event at Windsor Castle tonight and would like to thank everyone who made today such a memorable event.”

On Thursday, the Queen appeared from Buckingham Palace with a walking stick to kick off four days of public events to celebrate her historic platinum anniversary. The anniversary marks 70 years of the Queen’s reign.

The 96-year-old was seen using a walking stick as she went out onto the balcony with her cousin, Prince Edward, Duke of Kent, 86. She was later joined by the extended family but some big names were left out of the photo including princes Harry and Andrew.

Although her appearance at the event had been questionable after dealing with mobility issues, in recent weeks the monarch has been able to salute mounted troops from the balcony of Buckingham Palace with the help of a walking stick and a health certificate. , under the fluttering royal standard.

Andrew tests positive for Covid

It has been revealed that Prince Andrew has contracted Covid and will also miss the religious service.

The scandal-ridden prince had already been sidelined at most events.

Buckingham Palace confirmed the Duke of York’s positive result on Thursday.

“After conducting a routine test, the Duke has tested positive for Covid and will regretfully not attend tomorrow’s service,” a palace spokesman said.

Andrew was last seen riding a horse, apparently in good health, near Windsor Castle on Wednesday, according to Sky News UK.

It is also clear that he has been seeing the Queen for the past few days. That may be a concern, given the full weekend of activities the Queen has planned and her failing health.

The BBC said Andrew was tested regularly and had not seen the Queen since he tested positive.

Originally published as Queen Elizabeth withdraws from second anniversary event after ‘inconvenience’

Leave a Comment