(CBS DETROIT) – The American Red Cross will sponsor a blood drive at the Costick Center in Farmington Hills, encouraging people to participate and help with the urgent need for blood.
The blood donated during this event will be used in local hospitals for emergency and trauma care, surgery and treatment of serious illnesses.
READ MORE: Mid-Halloween: This is where events happen on Friday the 13th
Officials say all donors who make the effort will enter a raffle to win $25 gas gift cards. Four winners will be drawn.
There will also be a t-shirt giveaway while supplies last.
READ MORE: Reward Offered for Information Leading to Arrest in 2019 Murder of 2 Men in Detroit
In accordance with CDC guidelines, the American Red Cross has updated its pandemic safety protocols:
- Face masks are no longer necessary for blood tests.
- Social distancing will remain where possible.
- Donor mask requests will be honored where close interaction takes place.
- Individuals can choose to wear a mask and masks will be available for those in attendance.
The blood drive will be held on June 15, from 8:00 AM to 8:00 PM at the Costick Center in Farmington Hills, from 8:00 AM to 8:00 PM at the Costick Center, located at 28600 W. Eleven Mile Road.
Here are some things you should know about donating blood:
- Donating blood takes about an hour
- Eligible donors must generally be in good health, weigh at least 115 pounds, and be 17 years of age or older.
- 16-year-olds can donate blood if a parent is present to fill out a consent form on the day of the blood collection.
MORE NEWS: Dakkota Integrated Systems officially opens this week on Detroit’s former Kettering High School site
© 2022 CBS Broadcasting Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.