A Texas jury awarded $45.2 million to the parents of a boy killed Friday in the Sandy Hook Elementary School massacre. Alex Jones will have to pay for continuously calling the mass shooting “a hoax”.
The punitive damages are in addition to the $4.1 million in compensatory damages that Jones had to pay to the parents a day earlier — the first time he was held financially responsible for his lies about the Newtown, Connecticut massacre, Axios reported.
The total – $49.3 million – is less than the $145.9 million in punitive damages and $150 million in compensatory damages filed by Neil Heslin and Scarlett Lewiswhose 6-year-old son Jesse Lewis was murdered at the school, according to Reuters.
The parents’ lawyer said on Friday: “Stop Alex Jones. Stop monetizing misinformation and lies.” In response, Jones’ attorney said Jones had repeatedly apologized and offered to host the parents on his show.
The Connecticut prosecutor’s 48-page report on the massacre does not reveal why 20-year-old Adam Lanza shot his mother in her bed on December 14, 2012, before traveling to the school where he killed 20 first-graders and six adults. before taking his own life.
For years, the Infowars host falsely claimed the shooting was a “huge hoax” concocted by the government, which staged “crisis actors” to advocate for tightening gun laws. However, during the trial, he admitted that he believes the massacre was “100% real”.
“Care and concern is so important and we’ve seen what happens when there’s a lack of it, so I hope we all just go home tonight and everyone who reads these articles and hears this message and that you have love with your children.” because you can,” Plaintiff Lewis said after the jury’s decision.
Earlier this week, Jones filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy proceedings for Infowars’ parent company Free Speech Systems. It is the second time this year that the company has gone bankrupt.
Jones was charged with default for libel last year after he refused to hand over documents. The conspiracy theorist was also charged with perjury as he stated under oath that he did not have any “Sandy Hook” messages on his phone, but his lawyers accidentally sent two years of his email and phone records to the lawyers. of the opposing party; the material seems to contradict his earlier claim.
The Jan. 6 commission asked for Jones’ phone records as part of its investigation into the Capitol bombing. Jones was initially subpoenaed by the commission in November to investigate whether he was spreading misinformation about the 2020 election and his involvement in January 6 rallies.