Toddler’s thumb chopped off during weekend trip to Sydney shopping center

A toddler from Sydney has his thumb horribly chopped off during a family weekend trip to a shopping center.

The Fairchild family paid a visit to the Broadway Shopping Center in Sydney last weekend so their three-year-old son Lewis could use the play equipment, 7News reported.

However, while riding a traveler, the boy’s thumb was cut off by a sharp object hidden under the railing.

Lewis’ mother Anora described the horrific moment when her son’s thumb was torn off.

“It tore out tendons, it went through to the bone, it was like a hack, it wasn’t a clean job,” she told 7News.

His father Joseph said he was in “disbelief” when he frantically found the safety switch to stop the traveler and try to locate his son’s thumb.

Lewis had his thumb 'chopped off' on a travellator.
Camera iconLewis had his thumb ‘chopped off’ on a travellator. Credit: 7News

Young Lewis spent a night in the hospital where he was operated on, but unfortunately the doctors were unable to reconfirm.

The child’s parents are now demanding answers and apologies from the mall after the shocking incident.

They also want to warn other families to be aware of hidden dangers.

In a statement to 7News, Broadway Sydney said: “Our thoughts are with the child and his family, and the health and safety of all our customers and employees remains our top priority.

“After the incident, we tried to contact the family.

“We are conducting a comprehensive investigation into the incident and are working with authorities.”

Child safety experts say they have never seen an incident like this.

“It’s shocking and it’s something you wouldn’t predict and how could the family predict it really is an accidental accident,” said one expert.

Leave a Comment